With its unrivaled power, the tactical shotgun is the optimal firearm for home defense.
Before we offer our recommendations for the best of the best in home defense category, let’s review the features that are critical for tactical shotguns and that, in some instances, differentiate them from hunting shotguns.
- Semi-automatic and pump action shotguns offer optimal ease of operation – and a familiar sound that sends a message.
- A maximum barrel length of 18-20 inches offer facile maneuverability, finer ergonomics, and greater concealability.
- 12 or 20 gauge loads offer high power, with the latter being lighter yet highly effective.
- Given their relatively limited magazine capacity of shotguns, 4.1 shells are preferred.
- While pistol grips are “sexier,” shoulder stocks make for enhanced accuracy.
- Sling mounts free up your hands for necessary action in a home defense situation.
- Front and rear sights are preferred for home defense. Laser sights also represent good investments for a home defense set-up.
One more piece of advice: keep your home defense shotgun loaded – but always locked away and out of the reach of children. In a critical tactical situation, it is unlikely that you will have time to load.
Now on to our recommendations:
The Kel-Tec KSG™ is no ordinary tactical shotgun. Its dual tube magazines hold a dozen 3 inch, 12 gauge shells (plus one in the chamber), with the flexibility of switching between various projectiles – say, a slug in one tube and buckshot in another. A patented downward ejection system makes it truly ambidextrous, while its 26.1 inch overall length, 18.5 inch cylinder bore barrel and 6.9lbs of weight make it is as compact as legally possible. Due to the bull pup design, the KSG makes it easy to go through doors and narrow hallways.
The Remington 870 Tac-14 may be small in size, but it delivers devastating, threat-stopping power to protect your home and family. Featuring legendary Model 870 reliability a Raptor pistol grip, and a Magpul M-Lock forend, it offers powerful personal protection at its absolute shortest and finest.
The Mossberg 590 Shockwave Raptor’s bird’s head pistol grip is uniquely shaped to minimize felt recoil. Includes all the features that have made Mossberg pump-actions the choice for millions worldwide: ambidextrous safety, dual extractors, positive steel-to-steel lockup, twin action bars, and a smooth operating anti-jam elevator.
For complete technical details, I urge you to visit or contact The Sporting Shoppe at The Preserve in Richmond, RI. It’s in-stock selection of shotguns is unrivaled. Standards for quality are, quite simply, the highest, and prices for guns and ammo are, quite simply, the lowest.